Pastor Dave Betzner
“Who Will Serve?
Unfortunately, Isaiah’s, eager and joyous “Here am I, send me!,” isn’t quite as common today as it has been.
Perhaps we can get some helpful suggestions about how to proceed with the task of encouraging people to serve from the book of Acts. You may remember that there was a need to replace Judas after “he fell headlong, his body burst open and all his intestines spilled out.” Come to think of it, the church might have better luck recruiting if we felt that would happen to us if we were unwilling to serve!
Anyway, the Book of Acts, Acts 1:20-26 gives us some guidance. It includes the following:
• The disciples knew Judas needed to be replaced.
• They needed a person from their group with a history of faithfulness, knowledge and participation.
• This person must become a witness with the others of the resurrection.
• They named Joseph called Barsabbas (also known as Justus) and Matthias as “called.”
• Then they prayed, “Lord, you know everyone’s heart. Show us which of these two you have chosen to take over this apostolic ministry.”
• Then they cast lots, and the lot fell to Matthias; so he was added to the eleven.
Who will serve at Good Shepherd in the 2017-2018 year? I pray all of us will, and that a smaller number will serve as leaders in specific positions that at this critical time in our congregations’ ministry.
Here are some encouragements/suggestions as to how to proceed:
1. Pray for the congregation, its’ ministry and mission needs, and for God-pleasing leadership, as we face the many challenges God puts before us.
2. Take out your Membership Directory and carefully – prayerfully – ask God to help you discern who he might like to serve at Good Shepherd in the 2017- 2018 year, and how he might want them to serve. Be sure to include yourself. You might use the words of Acts – Lord, show me which of these you have chosen to serve at Good Shepherd.
3. Now, pray for the particular individuals God has brought to mind, asking him to direct you to find a way to invite them to serve at Good Shepherd during the 2017-2018 year. At this moment, the congregation is seeking a President- Elect, Financial Secretary Elect, Recording Secretary (to be elected) and several Elders to be appointed.
God will show us who among us is to serve and take over the apostolic ministries needed among us when we cast lots (vote) at the June 25 Voters’ Meeting, and announce those who have agreed to serve as Elders.
In the meantime, continue to pray for our holy work together, for the work of our Call Committee and the available candidates whom God has brought forward for prayerful consideration.
God’s peace, joy and love be yours